Monday, March 16, 2009

I'd rather be poor.















BEIJING (Reuters) – Only two memories brought tears to Sun Yaoting's eyes in old age -- the day his father cut off his genitals, and the day his family threw away the pickled remains that should have made him a whole man again at death.

For centuries in China, the only men from outside the imperial family who were allowed into the Forbidden City's private quarters were castrated ones. They effectively swapped their reproductive organs for a hope of exclusive access to the emperor that made some into rich and influential politicians


Guess where i'd really have no desire to waltz through back in old school china? That's right, the forbidden city's private quarters. Considering i'd have to cut off my own private quarters to gain access, it really doesn't sound like a good business decision. Also, correct me if i'm wrong here, but isn't the whole purpose of becoming rich and famous the ability to USE your genitals on individuals that are way out of your league and/or age bracket? I like to call this the Michael douglas effect.

I'm pretty sure a eunuch woke up, forgetting what happened and thought, "wow i'm so rich and famou....oh no I almost forgot I don't have my genitals anymore...lol lol lol". Hey, sometimes I wake up on Thursday and totally think it's Friday, so man that could have definitely happened.

But think the most important lesson here is that ancient china was filled will bad decision making, genital-less individuals who built a big wall to keep people with genitals out of their country.

Another good lesson is not to cut off your genitals.

No comments: